We are blessed to be born in a land which gives us easy access to Yoga. While Yoga in itself is not a cancer treatment but it helps in enhancing the treatment program. The yogic exercises are a combination of meditation, breathing, and accurate postures or pose to balance your thoughts, body, and spirit. It has been found that cancer patients who practice Yoga are more happy, relaxed, and at peace as compared to those who don’t.
At IOCI, we provide overall treatment for our patients. In addition to advanced technology for cancer treatment, we are also committed to providing family-centred healthcare in nurturing environment. We focus on treating the whole patient; the mind, body, and spirit. We all know that cancer patients experience a wide variety of physical and emotional symptoms due to side effects. Recent research, however, has shown that Yoga helps in improving the quality of life, emotional wellbeing, physical symptoms, and emotional distress among cancer patients and survivors. The Best Medical Oncology Doctors in Noida recommend a combination of curative and integrated medicine for overall improvement of a patient.
How does Yoga Help?
Yoga is an ancient exercise which works both for the mind and body. The postures and movements of Yoga improve strength, flexibility and breathing to create a balance between your mind, body, and spirit. It works by:
- Stimulating the nervous system.
- Making your muscles and joints more flexible.
- Relaxing your mind and body.
- Reducing fatigue.
As a part of integrated medicine, Yoga is utilized to make cancer patients feel good. The exercises help them in relaxing and coping with stress, anxiety, and depression. It works by harmonizing the thoughts of cancer patients, lifting their moods, and improving their quality of life. Patients with a calm mind and relaxed body respond better to the treatments as well as reduce the side effects. The exercises even help patients to recover quickly after the surgery.
Yoga helps cancer patients by:
- Easing Fatigue: Cancer-related fatigue causes patients to go through a range of physical, emotional, and mental tiredness. Yoga helps patients in improving their fatigue during and after the treatment.
- Improves Sleep: Cancer patients usually have trouble falling asleep due to side effects. As Yoga helps calm the mind, it also ensures that the patient is falling asleep.
- Post-surgical Recovery: The distress after the surgery can be traumatizing for some patients as it may change the way they look and feel about themselves. Stress, before and after, the surgery leads to more complications. The Yogic exercises help patients in recovering resulting in shorter hospital stays and complications.
- Reduce Side Effects: Chemotherapy has major side effects. The common side effect experienced by patients is the nerve damage called peripheral neuropathy. This may cause tingling or pain in the hands and feet. Yoga and meditation help patients in easing this pain and helps them relax.
Cancer patients are more prone to depression and anxiety. The patients often have low self-esteem and are surrounded by negativity. Yoga helps patients in improving their mental health by calming their thoughts. The patients feel more alive and good after a Yoga session which helps them in fighting mental issues.